I know it’s Thursday but to me it feels like Friday as I will be travelling away for the weekend and I’m leaving tomorrow morning. But I couldn’t leave without posting something delicious first! Now if you’ve been following me here on my blog, then you already know that I like simple recipes with fresh, seasonal ingredients, simple and good flavors and also that I believe in balance, eating healthy and having treats because we deserve them! Last post involved a lot of chocolate so let’s have something savory today, how about a delicious salad made with few simple ingredients with flavors that compliment each other beautifully? This salad can be served as a main dish for a light lunch or for example as a side dish with some meat or anything else you prefer.
Beetroot is such a good, healthy vegetables and it has the most gorgeous color that makes it fun to eat. I keep seeing on internet chocolate beetroot cakes and I’m really intrigued so that will have to be fixed soon! Stay tuned! 🙂
Beetroot has exceptional nutritional value; rich in calcium, iron and vitamins A and C, also an excellent source of folic acid and a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium. The greens should not be overlooked; they can be cooked up and enjoyed in the same way as spinach. However, this recipe uses only the root so you can use the leaves for another meal.
I feel like pears are somewhat underestimated fruit and they are often in the shadow of their fellow fruit – apple. But pears are not only sweet, juicy and delicious but also very good for you as they are one the highest-fiber fruits and fiber keeps you regular to prevent a bloated belly caused by constipation, which also helps prevent colon cancer. A diet high in fiber can also keep your cholesterol levels down and is also linked to a reduced risk of breast cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. They also contain a fair amount of vitamins C, K, B2, B3, and B6 so eat those beautiful pears! 🙂
Another yummy ingredient in this salad is Feta cheese. Feta is a Greek soft brined white cheese, made from sheep’s milk, or from a mixture of sheep and goat’s milk, with small or no holes, a compact touch and it is usually formed into large blocks, which are submerged in brine. Its flavor is tangy and salty, ranging from mild to sharp.
Besides these, you’ll just need a couple of other ingredients and you’ll have a delicious and healthy meal…
- 3 medium redbeet, roasted
- 2-3 pears
- 100 g Feta cheese
- 2 handfuls of lamb's lettuce salad (also knows as corn salad)
- handful of pecans (or walnuts)
- For dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F). Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Start by washing the redbeet and cutting of the green leaves. Put a bit of salt on each redbeet and wrap each one individually into aluminium foil.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before peeling the skin and cutting it small cubes.
- Peel the pears and cut in small pieces. In a salad bowl mix the chopped roasted redbeet, pears, cubes of Feta cheese, lamb's lettuce salad and pecans.
- Prepare the dressing by combining olive oil, honey and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy!