Summer has officially arrived to this part of the world and we already started to complain about how hot it is lol! 😀 That’s what we people do, complain if it’s too cool for this time of the year and than when it gets hot, we complain again. We complain if there is too much rain and than again if there is none, that is of course very important for those who are growing fruit and vegetables but for the rest of us it’s kind of a hobby to talk about the weather. At least in Croatia and I know in UK as well as I still remember from when I used to live there that we talked about the weather all the time ha ha! How is in your country? Anything similar or you couldn’t care less if the sky is cloudy or sunny? 🙂
Anyway, the summer is here, it is getting really hot, cherries are still on the green markets but not for long and we already have nectarines, apricots, peaches so orange is definitely a theme now. Everybody is starting to dream about going to our beautiful Adriatic sea and all those who are lucky to be able to go are already making their holiday plans. I am so lucky that I can call Dubrovnik my home and that I get to spend some time there every summer with my family and friends so even if I still don’t know quite yet when I’m going to go, I know that I will and that’s enough to keep me happy and smiling. And I can take the city heat a bit longer…
The last weekend I’ve been in Slovenia where I go at least once or twice a year as I have my aunt and uncle living there (and my grandmother while she was still here with us) and some very good friends so that’s one more place that I can call home and where I always feel good and relaxed. I think I’ll make a little travel post about that too for those of you who enjoy some travel photography… 🙂 Oh and I finally finished editing all those photos from UK workshop (there were so many!!!) so that blog post is coming soon too, stay tuned!
Let’s go to the recipe, today I have this easy and delicious recipe for you, ‘Nutella’ filled oatmeal bars that are perfect for dipping into a glass of cold almond (or any other!) milk so great for breakfast or afternoon snack. I used homemade ‘Nutella’ so if you want to make your own, see here for the recipe or you can use any other chocolate hazelnut spread or real Nutella if you prefer.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup wholewheat or spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp rolled oats
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup homemade 'Nutella' (or any other chocolate hazelnut spread)
- Note 1 cup = 250 ml
- For homemade 'Nutella" see the recipe here...
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Line 20 x 20 cm / 8 x 8 inch square baking dish with baking paper. You can skip this if you are using a silicone one like the one I used.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt and sugar and mix until it's all combined.
- Add melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Using your hands press ½ of the oats/flour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Using a spoon or spatula gently spread 'nutella' over the oats crust.
- When 'nutella' is evenly spread, put the other ½ of mixture on top using your hands to distribute evenly the crumble.Press gently with your hands.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Keep at room temperature or in the fridge and enjoy with a glass of cold milk of your choice.