I have always loved breakfast. For me it was always more about cereals, toast with butter and jam or cookies with tea or coffee and not so much about savory food, unless it was Easter because that’s a whole different story! Very often after that kind of breakfast I would be hungry again within 2-3 hours and because I wanted to avoid snacking, I would just be hungry and honestly saying that would make me quite nervous.
After I changed my diet about a year ago, I started also paying more attention to what I eat in the morning. The purpose of breakfast is not “just to put something in the stomach” but rather to have something that tastes good but will give you necessary energy and nutrition and will keep you full until it’s lunch time. Now I’m not saying that occasional toast with butter and jam or pancakes are that bad for you but on a daily basis it’s better to choose something a bit more nutritious.
Today I have this warm Apple cinnamon porridge for you, perfect for cold mornings or when you wake up hungry and need something filling and delicious.
- Ingredients (portion for 1)
- 1 cup (250 ml) almond milk (or any other milk of your choice)
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 apple (peeled, chopped)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- chopped walnuts (for topping)
- In a small pan combine the milk, oats, apple, chia seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla and salt and mix using the spoon. Simmer over low heat for 7-8 minutes and when ready, put in a bowl. Top with chopped almonds, drizzle of maple syrup and a pinch of cinnamon. Eat warm and enjoy!