Ok, I know that this may sound a bit weird to some of you, like ‘why would I put beetroot juice in my chia pudding?’ but please trust me when I say that there are so many reason to try this out. First, it looks pretty because of the gorgeous colour beetroot juice gives to otherwise rather boring looking regular chia pudding. Second, it is so healthy that you can jump from the excitement about doing something amazing for your body and your health. Third, it doesn’t taste weird at all and when given a bit of sweetener like maple syrup or honey, it actually tastes like dessert, a very healthy, creamy and delicious dessert! Did I convince you just yet? 😉
I actually really love drinking beetroot juice and I would highly recommend it, it is one of the healthiest juices we could drink (of course make sure it has no added sugar) and it has so many benefits for our health that you could write a book only on the subject of beetroot! It has powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties and is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, manganese, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper and selenium (the list goes on…). Drinking beetroot juice can help lower blood pressure, improve digestion, fight inflammation (and inflammation is responsible for so many of our health problems so we need to fight it with all that we got!), boost energy and yes, the list goes on again! 😀
I’ve been going through some stressful times (not to mention that I have a move to another apartment and another part of the city coming very soon!) and in those times I always try to take care for my body and soul as much as I can. For my body, by increasing the beautiful nutritive rich food that helps me fight the stress and for my soul, by increasing the self-care rituals and make sure I find the time for the little things that make me happy. So enjoying this healthy breakfast does both actually! Hope you’ll give it a try!
Oh and if you are looking for more ways to eat beetroot, I have a delicious Beetroot, fennel and apple salad on the blog that can be a side dish but also a beautiful healthy lunch.
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp beetroot juice
- 1-2 tsp maple or agave syrup (or honey)
- Toppings suggestion: cherry jam, chopped Brazil nuts
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Mix chia seeds with almond milk, add cinnamon, maple syrup and divide in two small bowls or cups.
- Add beetroot juice to one of them.
- Stir well and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour (stirring once or twice during that time) or overnight.
- When chia pudding is done (chis seeds thickened and got pudding-like consistency), you can layer it in the glass.
- First put a red beetroot layer, than white layer and top with a bit of cherry jam (I used the one sweetened with agave syrup) and chopped Brazil nuts or any other topping of your choice.