Here is something for all of you who love citrus desserts, me included!
When it comes to lemon cakes, you either like them or not, easy as that. I have a friend who loves all fruit cakes but not the ones with lemon. Me on the other hand, love desserts with lemon but they do need to have the right amount of sourness and equally right amount of sweetness. I guess that’s the trick and this cake has just that if you ask me! It’s a great simple cake to serve with your afternoon tea or coffee or even for breakfast when you are craving something different than oatmeal. 😉
Short story about these lovely lemons and cake…
I actually was not even planning to post this recipe. Here’s how the story goes (it’s short I promise!)… I received a package from my parents with these wonderful organic lemons from their garden in Dubrovnik, mum’s homemade jam, dried figs and some other yummy stuff. My body is craving all things refreshing these days so I’ve been making lemonade sweetened with honey every day but then the weekend came and I though ‘I need cake in my life!’ 🙂 So I went looking through my saved recipes and by ‘saved’ I mean my recipe notebooks, print outs of recipes from blogs and ripped pages from magazines with recipes I love. That’s the method I learned from my mum haha and I prefer it so much more than keeping files on my computer, I mean, I have some of those too but I rarely look at them.
Anyway, when I decided which cake to bake (delicious and simple is what I always go for!), I thought how pretty are these lemons and why not take some photos too for my social media pages and my stock agency. But, once I had the first slice, I knew I want to share a recipe too as it wouldn’t be fair of me not to! 😀
Oh just one more thing about the ingredients. As always when baking, make sure you use high quality ingredients as it makes all the difference to the final result. So definitely organic lemons as one of the ingredients that makes this cake delicious is lemon peel and untreated lemons are a must for that. I also had some lovely organic eggs and fresh cottage cheese from the farmers’ market that I actually used instead of ricotta this time. So you can basically use ricotta or cottage cheese, as you wish. Now let’s get to the recipe!
Recipe in English:
- 175 g (7/8 cup) butter, room temperature
- 150 g (2/3 cup) sugar, I used xylitol
- 3 eggs
- 250 g (1 cup) ricotta or fresh cottage cheese
- 220 g (1½ cup) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 organic lemons, juice and peel
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sachet (2 tsp) baking powder
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Grease and line 24 cm / 9.4 inch baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl combine butter, sugar, vanilla sugar (or extract) and egg yolks and beat with electric mixer until you get smooth and fluffy mixture.
- Add lemon juice and lemon peel, flour mixed with baking powder and salt, ground almonds and fresh cheese. Mix to combine.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until peaks form and gently fold into prepared mixture.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking tin and bake for about 40 min or until tester comes out mostly clean. You can cover the cake for the last 10-15 min with baking paper so it doesn't get too dark at the top. Leave to cool and enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 175 g maslaca, na sobnoj temperaturi
- 150 g secera, ja sam koristila xylitol ili brezin secer
- 3 jaja
- 250 g ricotte ili svjezeg sira
- 220 g brasna
- prstohvat soli
- 3 neprskana (organska) limuna, sok i naribana korica
- 1 vanilin secer ili 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- 1 prasak za pecivo
- 3 zlice mljevenih badema
- Zagrijati pecnicu na 175 C.
- Namazati i obloziti 24 cm kalup za pecenje.
- U vecoj posudi pomijesati maslac, secer, vanilin secer i zumanjke i miksati dok ne dobijete glatku pjenastu smjesu.
- Dodati sok i naribanu koricu limuna, brasno pomijesano s praskom za pecivo i soli, mljevene bademe i svjezi sir. Miksati da se poveze.
- Napraviti cvrsti snijeg od bjelanjaca s prstohvatom soli i njezno umijesati u pripremljenu smjesu.
- Izliti smjesu u pripremljeni kalup za pecenje i peci otprilike 40 min ili dok tester ne izadje pretezno cist.
- Zadnjih 10-15 min mozete pokriti kolac papirom za pecenje kako ne bi previse potamnio na vrhu.
- Ostaviti da se ohladi i dobar tek!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.