I have these delicious, melt in your mouth Raw chocolate date cups for you today! But let me first tell you a bit about my week…
I came back from Italy yesterday after two days in Rome, the stay was short but the schedule was full as we attended a big family celebration and had so many things to do in just a bit more than two days. The weather was amazing, real Summer and we had such a great time. I will try to edit some photos in the next few days and share a bit of the atmosphere from the pretty places we visited.Here on “our mountain” is much colder and I woke up this morning almost completely without a voice and with a cold. I don’t know if it’s because of the big temperature difference, too much singing on Saturday night or too many sorbets I had (lemon, passion-fruit, raspberry, mango to name just a few!! Well, when you can’t eat Italian gelato then you make up for it by eating refreshing Italian sorbetto!)…
Since I started eating healthier about a year ago (even if for the first few months I thought of it as a health diet necessary because of my stomach problems and wasn’t aware that I will not be going back to eating as before..), I feel so much better and really feel the healing effects of the food that is good for our bodies and mind. I will also be honest to say that there are times and moments when I would like to have some treat from the category “it’s maybe not good for us but it taste pretty damn good!”, one of those moments was definitely now in Italy when everybody around me enjoyed all those yummy desserts like Cannoli Siciliani or Torta Millefoglie (vanilla custard dessert with pieces of chocolate inside) and I couldn’t have any. But those cravings are normal and I resisted them and indulged on huge amounts or strawberries, blueberries and sorbets! If in time my digestion will improve enough to handle all the cream and butter, then I will have an occasional treat with one of those and the rest of the time continue with treats that don’t make me sick and still taste amazing. One of those is this what I’m sharing today! 🙂
These Raw chocolate dates cups are very chocolaty and perfect little sweets that are good for you and taste like they’re not! 🙂 The inspiration for these comes from amazing blog Oh she glows and Angela’s Raw almond butter cups (find the recipe here and try it out as it’s fantastic!). Her book Oh she glows is the first vegan food cookbook I bough and I tried out already so many recipes, absolutely love it!
Back to my recipe. I shared it already recently on Croatian blog Make it healthy where Marija shares healthier versions of delicious cakes, cookies, muffins, jams and much more, I want to try them all! All the recipes are both in Croatian and English and I’m sure you will find a lot of recipes you’ll want to try out. If you want to see a little interview I gave to Marija on her blog, you can find it here (in Croatian only).
- 3 large dates (soaked in warm water for 15 minutes)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or other nut butter)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts (or almonds)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbs maple syrup (or agave)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate topping:
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or 2 tbsp agave)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- Put all ingredients for base into the blender/food processor and mix few minutes until all combined. It’s good to leave some larger pieces of hazelnuts (or almonds) because this gives a nice crunch.
- In every muffin liner (preferably silicone one) put about 2 tbsp of batter and leave on the side until you prepare the chocolate topping.
- Put all the ingredients for the topping in a small pan and warm over low heat until melted and combined.
- On top of every base put 2-3 tbs of chocolate mixture and put the muffin tin in a freezer for 30 minutes.
- After that remove the cups from the tin (very easy to do with a silicone one as they are very flexible so you just pop out the cups) and keep them in a fridge as the chocolate melts fast on a room temperature. Enjoy!
Pang @circahappy says
This is THE vegan dessert I will really enjoy. Who wouldn’t, right? Thank you for sharing Lili. Your photos make me want to make it RIGHT NOW 🙂
You are so sweet Pang, thank you so much!! 🙂