Cherry banana ice cream is something so simple but at the same time healthy and very delicious! Have you ever tried making ice cream using frozen bananas?
It’s something I discovered last summer when I suffered from serious gut / digestion issues and it was the first summer ever that I couldn’t eat ice cream that I absolutely adore. Not to mention that at the time I was living in a tourist town in the South of Turkey where the temperatures were like 35-40 C and everybody around me was eating ice cream all the time! To say that I was upset would be a major understatement.
But than one day in one of about million food blogs and instagram accounts I follow, I saw this thing called vegan nana ice cream and that caught my attention. Since it was vegan, it meant there there is no dairy in there so it’s much easier to digest and I had no clue what is that nana ice cream. It was to my surprise when I found out that it’s kind of a vegan replacement for ice cream made with frozen bananas. And that meant that I could eat it too!!! I had to try it straight away!
But first you need to freeze bananas so I did, I just took few bananas and put them in the freezer determined that first thing the day after I will be making this so called nana ice cream.
But hmmm the next day when I opened the freezer I found these black rocks that used to be bananas and that could be useful if you’re trying to escape from a bus that is on fire and had to brake a window or something like that but to make an ice cream…don’t think so! It was my blonde moment ha ha, so don’t make the same mistake as I did and if you make this than first peel bananas, cut them in slices, put them in transparent kitchen foil and THEN FREEZE! LOL 😀
You can basically make this dessert just with frozen bananas and other fruit of your choice, like strawberries, blueberries, mixed forest fruit, mango or my favorite sweet cherries. If you want it a bit sweeter, you can also add some natural sweetener like honey or agave syrup.
Now is the cherries season and they are so sweet and juicy and they are true nature’s candies so I made this cherry banana ice cream and didn’t have to use any additional sweetener but if the cherries (or other fruit) you are using are not that sweet, feel free to add 1-2 tsp of honey, maple or agave syrup.
This recipe really couldn’t be any simpler and I hope you’ll try it. Sure, ice cream is still ice cream but this is a nice, delicious, healthier alternative with simple ingredients so why not make it from time to time… 🙂
- 2 cups (400 g) cherries (pitted and frozen for 6-8 hours)
- 2 bananas (sliced and frozen for 6-8 hours)
- 3 tbsp full fat coconut milk (or other milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
- Put all the ingredients in the blender/food processor and blend until thick and smooth, consistency of ice cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Note: If your food processor is not very strong, you may need to add a bit more milk to make it easier to blend. If the cherries (or other fruit ) you are using are not very sweet, you can add 1-2 tsp of honey or agave syrup.
- This dessert is best eaten immediately after preparation as it melts quickly. It can be put back in the freezer but will become a bit icy due to forming of ice crystals.
This cherry banana icecream looks delicious. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
Thank you so much for your kind comment! 🙂
mID NIGHT CAKE DELIVERY gUNTUR says
Delicious cake recipe. I simply love your blog recipes
Thank you very much! 🙂