I had some dear family members from Italy staying with us for a week and one of them was our 6 years old nephew who, as every little boy, likes to eat cakes and chocolate. So I’ve put all my healthier ingredients on the side for a week and baked two chocolate cakes, chocolate chip cookies and butter bread rolls! I know, not exactly what I’ve been sharing here on the blog, right!!? But than again I think I won the award for the best aunt as he said that the cakes were the best he ever had! And he knows what a good cake taste like. 🙂
I also mentioned few times here that I believe in balance and I’m not a fan of anything extreme so occasional slice of “real” cake (with butter, sugar and all that) will not hurt as long as the majority of the time you eat good healthy food. I also love baking and find the whole process calming and therapeutic so even if I’m making something that I will not eat at the end, I am enjoying the process of making it as long as it makes other people happy!
One of the cakes I baked was this Boban’s cake that is very popular in Croatia as it’s easy to make and it’s always delicious. It’s also one of those chocolate cakes without flour or butter so it’s gluten-free and not heavy, great for those who can’t tolerate gluten. Usually it’s decorated with whipped cream but because our guests were not a fan of cream, I made it without and decorated it with some chocolate curls and sprinkles. At the end of the post I’ll add two photos of this cake that I made previously on some other occasion where I did decorate it with whipped cream so you can see those two versions of the same cake and decide for yourself how you want to make it…
Just one more thing before the recipe. I’ll try to do one more post before the end of the week and than I’ll be off for two weeks as I will be travelling to St. Lucia!!! I’m so excited for that and can’t wait to see that part of the world I haven’t been before! Of course I’m taking my camera with me so there will be a big travel post on the blog as soon as I come back and organize all the photos (I’m sure there will be like million of them, more or less!).
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 g (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) sugar (I used unrefined raw cane sugar)
- 120 g (4 oz) dark chocolate
- half sachet (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 jar of blueberry or cherry jam
- optional: whipped cream or whipped coconut cream for dairy-free version
- Preheat oven to 170 C (340 F). Prepare a cake tin (24 - 26 cm) , grease it and line with baking parchment.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites with sugar until stiff and shiny peaks form.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks with baking powder.
- Melt the chocolate over a bain marie (break chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl, sit over a pan of barely simmering water and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally).
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg yolks and baking powder mixture and combine it using a wooden spoon.
- Gently add the egg whites and sugar mixture and combine.
- Pour it into prepared cake tin and bake for about 30 min on 170 C (340 F).
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool before spreading the whole jar of blueberry or cherry jam on top of it.
- If you wish, add the whipped cream on top and decorate with chocolate curls and serve it cooled.
- Note: Cake will rise while in the oven and than "collapse" when out of the oven, that's how it should be so don't worry for that.
I hope you’ll try it and let me know what you think! It’s really a simple and delicious, light chocolate cake that, from my experience, everybody likes! And now to finish this post another two photos of the same cake but baked on different occasion where I decorated it with whipped cream as well…