So on this blog of mine, I will be sharing really a mix of different kinds of recipes, some that we can even call healthy and that are actually good for you and some that are just pure indulgence because that is also needed from time to time.
Today it’s time for that indulgent part as I’m sharing a truly delicious Brown butter plum upside down cake that can be your treat for the weekend or a holiday. Well I guess you can make it any time of the week as well, for example if you see some great juicy looking plums in the market! I will be honest with you and say that I cannot unfortunately eat it as I can’t eat butter (among other things!) but that will not stop me from baking also the food that contain butter, milk, cream or anything else that I don’t eat at the moment. I enjoy making food that makes other people happy and just the process of making this cake, the most amazing smell while it’s being baked and the positive comments from people eating it, for me all that is enough to make me happy!
And you can always lick a spoon to taste what you are making, right? 😉
The credit for this recipe goes to Jenna from Eat, live, run blog check it out, she has so many amazing recipes on her blog! I just adapted slightly her recipe and added metric measurement for all of us in European countries (or any other who use this kind of measurement).
So here it is:
- 2 lbs (900 g) plums, ripe but still firm to the touch
- 1½ sticks (170 g) organic butter
- ¾ cup (150 g) coconut or brown sugar
- 1½ cups (190 g) spelt or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (1 sachet) baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) plant-based or regular milk (I used oat milk)
- ¾ cup (150 g) coconut or un-refined sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Slice the plums ¼″ (0,5 cm) thick using a sharp knife. After you slice your plums, set slices aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat four tablespoons of the butter (55 g). Melt the butter and continue to brown butter on low heat. The goal here is to brown and not burn it so be careful. Once the butter melts, start swirling the pan and when the butter starts to turn golden, keep it going jus few seconds longer until you get a rich caramel color. Take it off the heat quickly.
- Once butter has browned, immediately add the coconut or brown sugar and stir. Cook sugar and butter on low heat, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9″ (23cm) cake pan, spreading all over the bottom of the pan using a rubber spatula.
- Arrange the plum slices in one or two layers on top of the brown sugar/butter mixture in the cake pan. Set aside.
- Cream together the remaining butter with the sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, beating constantly. Then, add the vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add these dry ingredients into the wet as well as the milk and continue beating until mixture gets light and fluffy.
- Spread the cake batter right on top of the plums. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the cake cool well before flipping cake pan over onto a large plate.
- Serve it cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!