Hi!!! I’ve been missing posting on the blog but the last 7 days since I arrived to Dubrovnik were filled with the sea, sun, beach, mum’s food and time with my family! It has been also way too hot to spend any time in the kitchen or working on the computer and I took a bit of break from working and enjoyed all the things I love to do when in my hometown. It seems that every summer it gets hotter and hotter or that’s just me and and my new life in the Swiss mountains where it’s cool and fresh. But also other people were complaining about these very high temperatures and unfortunately there are few big fires in the area so we are all actually hoping for a day of rain so it can help to all those brave fire fighters who are working around a clock to prevent fires from spreading.
How is your summer so far? I hope your are having a good time wherever you are and whatever you do… 🙂
Today’s post will be short, it’s for a simple and delicious recipe for Apple and blackberry crumble that I found in the amazing book Deliciously Ella and adapted it slightly.
It’s delicious for a light dessert with a bit of coconut cream or regular whipped cream or the following day for breakfast with some cold almond (or other) milk! I used red apples and fresh blackberries but you can use frozen blackberries if fresh ones are not in season.
Apples are so good for us and if you want to know more about health benefits of apples, I suggest you have a look at this amazing article I came across recently (see here) where you can see tips for growing apples in your gardens, read about so many wonderful varieties of apples and their health benefits. I mean, I always knew apples are healthy and we all know the saying “an apple a day keeps a doctor away” but honestly I never knew they were SO healthy and that they have so many wonderful benefits for our bodies and health! Definitely worth reading!
- For fruit layer:
- 7 red apples
- 1 cup (200 g) blackberries
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- For crumble layer:
- 1 cup (200 g) ground almonds
- 1 ½ cup (150 g) oats
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup (100 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- To make a crumble layer, combine ground almond and oats in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan combine coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon over a low heat until everything is melted and combined.
- Pour over the almonds oats mixture and mix by hand. Leave this bowl on the side until you prepare the fruit layer.
- Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces. Place them in a saucepan with blackberries, coconut sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon and enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Leave to cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the fruit is soft.
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F). When the fruit is soft, transfer it to baking dish previously greased with a bit of coconut oil. Add the crumble layer on top of the fruit and bake for about 25 min until the crumple is nice and golden brown. Serve as dessert with coconut cream or eat as breakfast with cold almond milk. Enjoy!