The last few days has been really cold, like -10 C in the morning and all day way below zero degrees. My body reacts to this cold in a way that I just want to snack all the time, I crave cookies and sweet treats and even if the ones I make are most of the time on a healthier side, they are still not good in those quantities I’ve been craving them! So what is the solution to this problem? The answer is: having snacks in the house that are as much as possible healthy and they taste really good! Also of course the best method is not buying any cookies and other sweets but rather making them yourself, this way at least you know what you put in your body and you can satisfy your cravings without hurting your health. I’m not saying that occasional store-bought box of cookies will destroy you but if you have them at home, you will eat them and I think it’s much better to make your own treats! Like this one for example…
Who would think these are so healthy, right? But they really are, besides very little quantity of coconut sugar (Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index, a measure of how quickly a food raises your blood sugar levels!) all other ingredients are actually good for you! And the most important is that these little sweet treats really do taste amazing. They are good for breakfast or afternoon snack and also great for kids when you want to give them apples disguised as dessert. 🙂
You can eat them as they are or drizzled with maple syrup (which I strongly recommend!). Hope you’ll try them out and let me know what you think!
Recipe in English:
- 4 apples, grated (excess water squeezed)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup spelt flour (or buckwheat flour for GF version)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 2-3 tbsp almond milk (or other milk)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- coconut oil for frying
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, flour, milk and cinnamon and stir until comes together.
- Add grated apples (previously squeeze the excess water) and stir all to combine.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and take a spoon of batter for each fritter. Fry for few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 4 jabuke, naribane (i iscijedjene)
- 2 jaja
- ½ salice pirovog brasna (ili heljdinog za GF verziju)
- 1 zlica kokosovog secera
- 2-3 zlice bademovog mlijeka (ili drugog po izboru)
- ½ zlicice cimeta
- kokosovo ulje za przenje
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- U vecoj posudi izmijesajte pjenjacom jaja, secer, brasno, mlijeko i cimet dok se sve dobro ne poveze.
- Dodajte naribane jabuke, kojima ste prethodno iscijedili suvisni sok, i promijesajte da se sve poveze.
- Zagrijte na tavi malo kokosovog ulja i uzimajte po zlicu smjese te przite nekoliko minuta na svakoj strani dok ne dobiju lijepu zlatno-smedju boju.
- Prelijte javorovim sirupom (po zelji) i uzivajte!