With only few days left till Christmas, it’s time for baking Christmas cookies! I already shared some recipes for traditional cookies that are made with butter (see here for Almonds & chocolate cookies and here for Almond crescent cookies) but today I’m sharing these amazing Coconut oil cranberries & nuts cookies that are a bit healthier due to use of coconut oil, coconut sugar and spelt flour. They are sweet, chewy, soft, delicious and cranberries give them that “winter-Christmas-feel”, really yummy! 🙂 In fact, they are almost gone already and I will have to make another batch tomorrow!
I used Brazil nuts that have very high content of healthy unsaturated fats or omega-3 fatty acids and also contain good quantities of vitamins, anti-oxidants and minerals. They are good source of B-complex group of vitamins, vitamin-E and hold exceptionally high levels of selenium. You can of course use other nuts if you prefer, I suggest almonds or pecans.
By the way, how are your preparations for Christmas going? What will you be doing over the holidays, staying home or travelling somewhere? I’m curious and would love to hear from you! 🙂 I will be busy this week with work, baking, shooting, editing and I’ll be here in our little mountain town over Christmas and then next week I’ll have my sister and her family visiting so there will be plenty of candidates for cookies and cakes tasting!
Once you combine all the ingredients and shape the dough into small balls that you will put in the fridge for about 2 hours, they should look like this…
Recipe in English:
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup raw cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped Brazil nuts (or pecans or almonds)
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- In a mixing bowl combine coconut oil, sugar, egg and vanilla and beat with electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt and mix until combined.
- Stir in dried cranberries and chopped nuts by hand until just combined.
- Shape the dough in small balls (1 tbsp of dough per ball) and place them on a large plate, cover with plastic transparent foil and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F) and place the dough balls on parchment lined baking tray leaving at least 5 cm (2 inch) between each of them. You can bake on two trays as the same time or like me, bake two times, one after another (first 9 cookies and than other 9).
- Bake for 10 min. They will still be very soft and look like they are under-cooked but that's how they should be as they will harden once they cool down. Cool them on wire rack and store in a metal box / airtight container for one week. Enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- ½ salice kokosovog ulja, otopljenog
- ½ salice kokosovog secera
- ⅓ salice obicnog secera (po zelji)
- 1 jaje
- 2 zlicice vanilin ekstrakta
- 1 salica glatkog brasna
- ½ salice pirovog brasna (ili obicnog glatkog)
- 1 zlicica sode bikarbone
- prstohvat soli
- ⅓ salice susenih brusnica
- ⅓ salice Brazilskih orascica, isjeckanih (ili obicnih oraha)
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- U velikoj posudi pomijesati rastopljeno kokosovo ulje, secer, jaje i vanilin ekstrakt i miksati elektricnim mikserom 2-3 minute dok se smjesa dobro ne poveze.
- Dodati brasno, sodu bikarbonu i sol i mijesati dok se ne poveze.
- Umijesati brusnice i isjeckane orascice.
- Oblikovati tijesto u male kuglice (1 zlica tijesta po kuglici) i staviti ih na veliki tanjur, prekriti prozirnom folijom i staviti u frizider dva sata.
- Zagrijati pecnicu na 175 C i staviti kuglice tijesta na pleh (tepsiju) prethodno oblozen papirom za pecenje. Ostaviti dovoljno razmaka izmedju (barem 5 cm) jer ce se keksi siriti kad se budu pekli. Peci 10 minuta.
- Keksi ce biti vrlo mekani i izgledati kao da nisu dokraja peceni, ali ce se stvrdnuti prilikom hladjenja. Ostavite ih da se dobro ohlade i pohranite u metalnu kutiju za kekse.