It’s been about 10 days since my last post but I have a good excuse, I’ve been in Croatia visiting my parents and spending some time with them and my friends. It was really nice to get away for a while and just relax, not worry about anything, talk for hours with my mum about recipes and food, having long coffee-chat sessions with my best friend and kind of just have a break. I needed that so I didn’t even care that the weather was miserable, rainy, windy and gloomy, in fact it just made things even more cozy! I mean, sure, it would have been nice to have few sunny days for walks by the sea in the sunshine but hopefully there will be plenty of that in the summer. 🙂
By the way, how was your Valentine’s Day yesterday? Do you celebrate it or you you pretend it doesn’t exist? 😀
To be honest, I’ve never really celebrated V-day, I mean it’s a nice concept to do something a little bit extra special for somebody we love but isn’t it just nicer when we do that on some random day and surprise our loved one when he/she the least expect it? I mean, I’m not some kind of Valentine’s Day Grinch and I had some nice romantic dinners and little presents on that day but generally I don’t feel the need to bake cookies in heart shapes and bath in rose petals lol! 😀 Anyway, I hope you had a nice day yesterday no matter if you had a romantic Valentine’s or just a cozy relaxing Sunday! I’m afraid I had neither of those two yesterday as I’ve been travelling back to Switzerland and had two possibly worst flights ever due to bad weather and turbulence, being sick after those flights and than having to sit in the car for another 2.5 hours to get to our mountain… not the best day. I arrived late and all I had energy to do was to have a prosciutto sandwich (if you come back from home and your home is Dubrovnik, than you definitely bring with you some Dalmatian prosciutto!), cover with blanket and watch the end of some movie before collapsing in bed. So now that I bored you with my stories, let’s have some ice cream! And not just any ice cream but a dairy-free healthy one!
I haven’t had a “real” ice cream since I started to have digestion problems about year and half ago and the reason why I haven’t gone completely crazy from ice cream cravings is that I can still have this amazing delicious version of it that is made with no milk, cream or eggs but frozen bananas instead. It’s so delicious and creamy, I love it and it’s a perfect treat! And it doesn’t make me sick, that’s the big bonus! 😀 I already shared a recipe for Cherry banana ice cream (find it here) and now it’s time for this chocolaty version. I hope you will try it out even if you don’t have health/digestion problems as this is one healthy dessert that tastes amazing and it’s a great way to indulge but still have something that is actually good for us.
- 2 frozen bananas, previously chopped in slices
- 4-5 tbsp almond milk (or other milk)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 2 medjool dates (or 2 tbsp agave or maple syrup)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ tsp cinnamon
- Topping suggestion: melted dark chocolate, crushed pistachios or almonds
- Note: I use medjool dates because they are softer and easier to blend but if you use regular dried dates, you can make them softer if you soak them in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- You can also taste the 'ice cream' before serving and adjust the sweetness if necessary.
- Put all the ingredients in food processor / blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust the sweetness if necessary.
- If you want the soft serve like this one in the photos, serve immediately as it melts quickly.
- Alternatively, you can put in the plastic container and in the freezer until you want to serve. Remove from the freezer 10 -15 min before serving.
- Note: I prefer it when served immediately after blending as the texture is soft and creamy.