How was your Easter weekend? Did you travel somewhere or stayed home relaxing? My one was quiet and peaceful and unlike the last one when I traveled to Italy, this one was spent at home. I even didn’t do much baking this time but I did bake a pretty Braided sweet Easter bread that is kind of a must for that day for me. That or ‘Pinca’, traditional Croatian Easter bread that I made last year (recipe here). I also of course dyed the Easter eggs using onions skins and they turned out really pretty dark brown/red color. I am sorry I didn’t post anything special for Easter, I did have plans but just life got in the way. This time in the form of nasty gastro virus that made me really really sick for 3 days, just in those days before Easter. Oh my, never had something like that before, I was so sick I even had to call an ambulance and it was not very pleasant that it happened in the middle of the night and when I was alone at home. But anyway, that’s now behind me, another thing that makes you stronger once it’s done. So rather than talking about that, let’s talk about cookies! 🙂
This is before baking…
And this is after…
I knew I wanted to make a recipe for cookies with orange + chocolate combination as it was always one of my favorite. it did take me three times to get them right but now I have a recipe that I love and that for sure I’ll be making over and over again. Besides the taste, one great thing about these cookies is their smell! Believe me, they smell amazing! Specially when they are in the oven but also when you open that cookie box…
Recipe is very simple and you only need few basic ingredients, I used dark chocolate as for me orange & dark chocolate go so well together but if you prefer, you can use milk chocolate. Oh and because the recipe asks for orange zest, you should use an organic, untreated orange. So, let’s get to the recipe…
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1.5 cups wholewheat flour (or spelt flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or light brown)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- juice of ½ orange
- grated zest of 1 orange (organic, untreated)
- 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 180 C (356 F). Prepare large baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt and stir well.
- In another mixing bowl whisk coconut oil and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and whisk until combined. Add cinnamon, orange juice and orange zest and stir well.
- Combine the two mixtures by adding the wet mixture into the oats-flour one.
- Stir well and add chopped dark chocolate.
- Make little dough balls (1 tbsp per ball) and bake on 180 C (356 F) for about 10 min.
- Leave enough space between the cookies on the tray as they will spread when in the oven. I baked 12 cookies in the first batch and than again 12 in another batch.
- Leave them to cool entirely before storing in the airtight container.
- Note: Cookies will still be very soft when you remove them from the oven but they will harden as they cool down.