Before talking about these delicious and healthy Chocolate almond truffles, can I just say that yesterday I had a nice long walk in the afternoon and taking photos of the first little pretty purple flowers that came out, enjoying some warmth after a looooong winter. Yep that was yesterday. Today I woke up, looked through the window and went back to bed for another 15 min, covered with duvet over my head. The reason for this was that when I looked outside, it was all white!!! Again!
I mean, I was so excited for spring and colors and sunshine and now this.. Well, no help in complaining I guess, at least I can still enjoy the pretty flowers from our little florist shop and the lovely produce we’ve been getting these days like asparagus and strawberries! I already have a great and so delicious recipe for you with asparagus but that will have to wait till next week.
First today we’ll have something sweet because it’s Friday and well, do we really need a reason for a sweet and healthy treat!? 🙂
Let me share something first… Last weekend I went for a lunch with a friend and even if normally I don’t eat anymore desserts made with regular refined sugar, sometimes there is an occasion and I cannot resist, I’m human after all. So as long as it’s some kind of lighter dessert and not tiramisu or some creamy cake, generally I’m ok and my digestion system is not complaining too much. Specially because that is so rare. So, I had my eye on this apple-cinnamon cake that looked really yummy so I ordered it for dessert. And you would never guess what happened, I just couldn’t eat it as it was waaaaay too sweet. Like literally all I could feel was sugar, no apples, no cinnamon, no vanilla, nothing, just this horrible sweetness without any other flavor!
I’m telling you this because only a year and half ago I would most probably said it was one of the best cakes I’ve ever eaten but now my taste has changed so much and obviously I can’t eat anymore desserts that taste like pure sugar. And that is actually great!
When we cut down on sugar and replace it with natural sweeteners like the ones I’m using like coconut sugar, honey, dates, agave or maple syrup, our taste changes and we can feel and enjoy more other flavors when we eat something sweet. Give it a try and you’ll see for yourself! The most important part is to continue to enjoy the food and not deprive yourself of treats as that will result in you being frustrated and angry and than you’ll just go back to eating even more unhealthy than before…
These little balls are delicious, creamy, chocolaty and sweet enough because of wonderful dates, I hope you’ll try them! They could be a great treat for your kids too, only don’t roll them in raw cacao as that would be a little too bitter for them but you can roll them in coconut or even some colorful sprinkles and they would still be healthier than some other store-bought candies full of refined sugars and additives.
Recipe in English:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla
- For topping
- raw cacao
- shredded coconut
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Note: The best dates to use here are Medjool dates as they are mush softer and creamier but if you are using regular dry dates, make sure you soak them in warm water for at least 20 min before using as that will make them softer and easier to blend.
- Put all the ingredients in your food processor and process it until the mixture gets combined and sticky. If too dry, add 1-2 tsp of milk of your choice.
- Make small balls and roll them into raw cacao powder or shredded coconut. If making for kids, you can also roll them in colorful sprinkles.
- Keep in fridge.
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 1 salica datulja, bez kostica
- 1 salica mljevenih badema
- 2 zlice kokosovog ulja, otopljenog
- 2 zlice kakao praha (nezasladjenog)
- ¼ zlicice cimeta
- ½ zlicice vanilin ekstrakta
- Za posipanje: sirovi kakao prah, kokosove mrvice
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Ako mozete najbolje je koristiti Medjool datulje jer su najmekse, ali i obicne datulje mozete omeksati tako da ih namocite u vodi barem 20 minuta prije koristenja.
- Stavite sve sastojke u vas multipraktik i miksajte dok ne dobijete gustu ljepljivu smjesu.
- Ako je presuho, mozete dodati 1-2 zlice mlijeka po izboru.
- Rukama radite male kuglice i povaljajte ih u kakao prah i kokosove mrvice. Mozete ih ukrasiti i secernim mrvicama.
- Drzite u frizideru. Dobar tek!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.