Sorry for not posting as much lately but I will share with you soon why, there has been a lot going on and there will be some changes in my life soon (and no, I’m not pregnant as that is what people usually ask me straight away) so I don’t have that much time for working and that kind of sucks as I love what I do. But it’s just for a short period of time and it will go back to normal, well “our normal” anyway… But because quality is more important than quantity, at least in this blogging world, I am sharing with you this delicious and simple strawberry cake that you can make as soon as you spot those first strawberries in your grocery shops!
Actually we’ve been having strawberries for at least couple of weeks already here in our little shop in our little mountain town and I’ve been a regular buyer! 😀 By the way, do you know how quiet and peaceful (read: boring) can get in the ski resort once the winter season has finished and the summer season hasn’t started yet? Like you can literally walk the streets without meeting anybody or maybe one person walking their dog. And almost all the shops and hotels are closed. What is open are those few grocery shops, pharmacies, couple of cafe bars and one to two clothes shops. And that’s it so there is not much to do really. Also Spring is always delayed at least a month so high up in the Alps but when it comes, than it’s magnificent! If you want to see some photos (cute animals too!) of how it looks like, see this post from last year here.
What we were talking about, ah yes strawberries! 🙂
Is there anything better? Ok, maybe chocolate but I wouldn’t say better just different kind of pleasure. Berries are my favorite fruit and I’ve always loved strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, oh and cherries, love those too! What are your favorite?
Last week I spent few days in Zagreb, capital of Croatia, as I had some work to do there and I enjoyed walking through the green markets and looking at all the beautiful spring produce. Actually I didn’t have much time to enjoy as I was busy busy but those few free moments I used for food (of course!) and had to stop by the green market to see what they offer. And because the weather was absolutely miserable (grey, rainy, windy, cold!), it was nice to see some lovely colors on those dark grey days. You see, one way or another I always end up looking for comfort and joy in food. 🙂
This cake is very simple to make and you don’t need many ingredients, the most important are beautiful fresh strawberries. It’s also healthier than those classic cakes with butter and loads of sugar but still it’s sweet enough and you can enjoy the flavors without being rushed into a sugar coma. So my kind of dessert! I hope you’ll like it as much as I do and if you make it, make sure to send me a photo or let me know as I love hearing from you! You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest for more of food, travels and life moments. I am also on Snapchat now (username: travellingoven) where I share more behind the scenes and a bit more of everyday life. Now let’s eat some cake! 🙂
Recipe in English:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder (or 1 sachet)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- ½ cup almond milk (or other)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (or olive oil, not extra-virgin)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- Topping / Decoration
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- coconut cream, whipped (or regular whipping cream)
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar (optional)
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F. Prepare a 26 cm / 10 inch Springform baking pan, grease it and dust with flour.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another mixing bowl whisk egg, sugar, milk, oil and vanilla until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet and stir until all combined. If batter looks too dry, add a little splash of milk and stir.
- Stir in gently chopped strawberries.
- Pour the batter into prepared Springform baking pan and bake for 30 min or until golden brown and the tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool well before removing the cake from the baking pan.
- Whisk coconut cream with vanilla sugar and spread it over cooled cake. Decorate with fresh strawberries and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 1 salica psenicnog brasna
- ½ salice integralnog brasna (ili pirovog)
- 1 prasak za pecivo
- prstohvat soli
- 1 jaje
- ¾ salice kokosovog secera (ili obicnog)
- ½ salice bademovog (ili drugog) mlijeka
- ¼ salice otopljenog kokosovog ulja (ili maslinovog, ne extra djevicanskog)
- 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- 2 salice svjezih jagoda, nasjeckanih
- Za dekoraciju
- 1 salica svjezih jagoda
- kokosovo vrhnje (ili obicno), tuceno
- 1 vrecica vanilin secera (po zelji)
- Napomena; 1 salica = 250 ml
- Zagrijati pecnicu na 200 C. Pripremiti kalup za torte od 26 cm, namastiti i posipati lagano brasnom.
- U posudi pomijesati brasno, prasak za pecivo i sol.
- U drugoj posudi pjenjacom izmijesati jaje, secer, mlijeko, ulje i vaniliju.
- Dodati suhe sastojke u mokre i dobro promijesati.
- Ako smjesa izgleda presuho, mozete dodati jos malo mlijeka.
- Umijesajte nasjeckane jagode.
- Prebacite smjesu u pripremljeni kalup i pecite 30-ak minuta.
- Izvadite iz pecnice i ostavite da se ohladi prije vadjenja iz kalupa.
- Ukrasite tucenim kokosovim vrhnjem u koje ste umijesali vanilin secer, svjezim jagodama i po zelji secerom u prahu. Dobar tek!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.