It’s two weeks until Christmas and this is the time we all start to bake cookies or look through the recipes to decide which ones we are going to bake for these festive days ahead. I’m sure many of you already have your favourite and I have mine too (you can see some of my favourites here on the blog under Recipes/Christmas) but it’s always nice to change things up a bit and try some new recipes. That’s why I have two new cookies recipes to share with you this week yaaay! 🙂
This first one that I’m sharing today I actually created for a very popular gluten-free Croatian blog “Zdravo i slasno bez glutena”. Sweet Helena contacted me a while ago asking if I would be willing to create a recipe for Christmas cookies without gluten, eggs, refined sugar and dairy and of course I said yes! These delicious cookies with a rich aroma of almonds, orange, cinnamon & vanilla are great for anybody with dietary restrictions and intolerances but also for anybody who wants to try something a bit different and without some of those ingredients most of the people usually use when baking for Christmas. These may be healthy but they are also very delicious and have all those lovely flavours we want in a Christmas cookie so I hope you’ll give them a try!
Just one more thing before we get to the recipe, I was thinking of a way to say thank you to you my dear followers because you are the reason I do this and every comment, message, email or like means so much to me so I am preparing a lovely giveaway on both my Facebook page and on my Instagram (with two different presents!). So make sure you follow me and stop by at my social media pages these days so you don’t miss the opportunity to win something really nice and pretty! 🙂
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup coconut flour (not desiccated coconut but real flour)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 chia 'egg' (1 tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated orange zest (organic)
- pinch of salt
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- If you don't have ground chia seeds, you can use whole seeds too to make chia 'egg'.
- Start by making chia 'egg' combining 1 tbsp ground chia seeds with 3 tbsp water and leave on the side for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground almonds with coconut flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix in chia 'egg', vanilla, maple syrup, orange zest and melted coconut oil.
- Stir well so it's all well combined.
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Roll out the dough between to plastic foils and make sure you don't roll it out too thin as it will get crumbly. If it gets crumbly, you can add a little bit of water to keep it together. Using star cookie cutter cut out cookies making sure they are not too thin, they should be at least 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) thick.
- Prepare large baking tray and line it with baking paper. Transfer cookies to the baking tray and bake them for 8-10 minutes or until they start to get golden brown around the edges.
- Leave them to cool and sprinkle with powdered xylitol or regular powdered sugar.
- Keep in airtight container or metal cookie box. Enjoy!