Sweet potatoes are honestly one of my favourite food! They can be prepared in many different ways just like regular potatoes but my absolute favourite are simply roasted with a sprinkle of sea salt, a bit of rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil. This delicious vegetable is rich with nutrients, vitamins A, C and B, iron, calcium, it has a low glycemic index and despite their sweet flavour they are low in sugar. You can use sweet potatoes to make a classic fries but this oven baked version is healthier and in my opinion even more delicious! Specially when you dip them in the creamy avocado sauce, yummy! 🙂
Those of you who follow me here on the blog already know that I like simple recipes and that all the recipes I post here are very easy to make. This one couldn’t be more simple but it’s so delicious, full of flavour, healthy and makes a perfect meal if you ask me. Combination of sweet potatoes and avocado is just the best and if you haven’t already, I hope you’ll give it a try!
On another note, I just came back from spending a week in my hometown Dubrovnik and as always it was good to be home. The weather was not what I expected and it was unusually cold for this time of the year when it’s normally already very warm and people stroll the streets of Old Town with ice cream in their hands and wearing light short sleeves shirts. But this time was different, we were wrapped in our jackets, scarfs and drinking coffee and hot tea to warm up. There were cool strong winds blowing from the sea and rain was drizzling on most days I was there. Still, there were few beautiful moments of sunshine and there is also so much beauty in walking by the sea when the weather is rough, watching the waves and feeling the wind in your hair and sea mist on your face…
Now I’m back in Zagreb and this is going to be such a busy time! I have various work projects and also I will be moving to another apartment in another part of the city and there will be so much to do that I get headache just thinking about it. But step by step, one by one as always and all will be done. I will try posting as much as I can but there will be a short slow-down period and I wanted you to know why. You can always follow me on my Facebook and Instagram page and also you can subscribe to my blog (by just writing you email in the ‘subscribe’ box on blog’s homepage) so you don’t miss any of the new blog posts.
- For 'fries'
- 4 medium size sweet potatoes, cut in fries shape
- olive oil
- rosemary (fresh or dry)
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch (optional, if you want more crunchy 'fries')
- For avocado dip:
- 1 larger avocado
- 2-3 tbsp natural yogurt (I used soya yogurt)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 390 F. Prepare large baking tray and line it with baking paper.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes, put them in a large mixing bowl, season with salt, rosemary and olive oil.
- If you want 'fries' to be more crunchy, you can add 1-2 tbsp of corn starch. Stir well and spread on baking tray.
- Bake for about 20-25 min until it's well roasted.
- To prepare avocado dipping sauce peel avocado and cut it in cubes.
- Put it in your blender or food processor and add 2-3 tbsp of yogurt, fresh lemon juice and salt as per taste. Mix until you get creamy sauce.
- Serve with roasted sweet 'fries' and enjoy!