Do you use millet in your diet? I use it often and love it, it’s so quick to cook and there is so much you can do with it. Millet is such a great ingredient and it can be used for both savoury and sweet dishes, it’s very healthy, gluten-free and easy to digest. It is also a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc and vitamin B, rich in fiber and has low glycemic index. Did I convince you yet? 😀
After cooking you can use it in salads, in dishes where you would usually use cous-cous, as a sweet or savoury porridge or in desserts. This time I used it for incredibly delicious, creamy and chocolaty pudding where you would never guess that there is millet as the main ingredient! This Coconut chocolate millet pudding is a great little treat that everybody can enjoy, also people who can’t tolerate gluten or dairy and I hope you’ll give it a try! It also gives you a great excuse to eat dessert for breakfast and that’s always a plus in my book… 😉
On another note, Spring has definitely arrived and we are having beautiful magnolias blossoming all around the city, it’s so pretty and I wish they would last forever! It’s also so warm that we literally went from coats to short sleeves and I wonder if it’s going to stay like this all the way to the Summer or the nature will surprise us with some colder days. Last year this time of the year I was still living in the Swiss Alps and if I can remember it well I believe we had snow and not a sign of Spring just yet. Down in the valley yes but up in the mountains where we lived it was still cold and the Spring was yet to come… To see some of beautiful Switzerland in Spring you can see this blog post…
I can’t believe that Easter is in about two weeks, how did that happen!? It’s a bit scary how the time flies but than again its’ nice to have all these different seasons and holidays and beautiful seasonal food to enjoy, don’t you think?! 🙂 I’ve been quite busy with various projects but I will do my best to post at least one Easter inspired blog post until than so stay tuned… You can always subscribe to my blog by just writing your email address in the ‘subscribe’ box, it’s the best way not to miss any of the new blog posts!
Recipe in English:
- 2 cups (400 g) cooked millet
- 1 cup oat milk (or other milk)
- 1 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 4-6 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Topping: shredded coconut, cacao nibs or grated dark chocolate
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- I use 4 tbsp of maple syrup for mildly sweet pudding but if you prefer sweeter dessert, you can adjust the sweetness per your taste.
- Cook millet by following the instructions on the packaging. Once cooked, let it cool down to room temperature.
- Put cooked millet in the blender and add all the other ingredients.
- Blend until you get creamy and smooth mixture. Adjust the sweetness per your taste.
- Serve in small bowls and top with shredded coconut and cacao nibs or grated dark chocolate.
- You can enjoy the pudding cold or at the room temperature.
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 2 salice (400 g) skuhanog prosa
- 1 salica zobenog mlijeka (ili drugog mlijeka po izboru)
- 1 vrhom puna zlica kakao praha
- 3 zlice kokos mrvica
- 1 zlicica kokosovog ulja
- 4-6 zlica javorovog sirupa (ili meda)
- 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Skuhajte proso prema uputama na pakiranju. Kad je skuhan, ostavite da se ohladi i zatim stavite u blender sa svim ostalim sastojcima.
- Izmiksajte u blenderu dok ne dobijete glatku kremastu smjesu. Prilagodite slatkocu svom ukusu. Servirajte u posudicama i posipajte kokos mrvicama i kakao zrncima ili naribanom tamnom cokoladom.
- Posluzite hladno ili na sobnoj temperaturi, dobar tek!