Today’s post and this gorgeous Pumpkin and sweet potato soup is inspired by the beautiful autumn colours we’ve been having here in the Swiss Alps, well until today really as this morning I woke up to the snow and all the trees completely covered with white blanket! It seems a bit too early for that if you ask me! I mean, I really love snow but I just want to enjoy those gorgeous reds and yellows for a bit while longer. Hopefully, the snow will melt quickly and we’ll have a bit more of autumn before the real winter arrives. There are all these beautiful pumpkins and chestnuts and grapes in shops and markets so winter shouldn’t be here just yet! Anyway, here are few phone shots just to show you those colours I mentioned so you can understand why I don’t want them gone…
So I was inspired by these colors and autumn mood and produce, specially the gorgeous pumpkins… This post will be more about photos and recipe for the most delicious pumpkin soup rather than me talking random things like usually! 🙂
Aren’t they beautiful? I could photograph them all day but the purpose of the post is to share my recipe for pumpkin and sweet potatoes soup that is so delicious me and my husband had it already few times since the pumpkin season began. Don’t worry, you don’t have to use any fancy types of pumpkins for this creamy soup, just a regular butternut squash (or other of your choice) will do. And you only need few other ingredients, basically you cut all the vegetables in small pieces, cook until soft and then blend with your hand mixer.
This is the kind of soup that it gets even better after a day or two in the fridge so you can easily make it a day in advance. What are your favorite pumpkin recipes? I would love to hear from you! Should I post something sweet with pumpkins too? 🙂
Just to mention that this soup is also very healthy as pumpkins, carrots and sweet potatoes are all rich source of vitamin A (a powerful natural anti-oxidant), vitamin C, manganese, copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorusvitamin B6.
Recipe in English:
- 1 medium butternut squash (or other pumpkin)
- 2 smaller sweet potatoes (or 1 large)
- 2 medium size carrots
- 1 fennel
- olive oil
- salt, nutmeg (and pepper if you use)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp soya cooking cream (or regular cream)
- 4 cups water
- Peel the vegetables and cut in smaller cubes.
- In a large cooking pan sautee for few minutes sliced fennel and carrots on some cooking olive oil. After few minutes add a bit of water and let it simmer for few more minutes.
- Add pumpkin and sweet potato cut in cubes, approximately 4 cups of water, season with salt and nutmeg and cover. Let it cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes until all the vegetables is nice and soft. Blend them directly in the soup cooking pan using a hand mixer until you get the creamy consistency without any pieces of vegetables.
- Add 2-3 tbsp cooking cream, try it and season with turmeric, a bit more with salt and nutmeg if needed.
- Serve with some more cream and fresh dill. Enjoy!
- Note: Depending on the exact size of your vegetables you may have to add a bit more or a bit less water while it cooks and that depend also on your taste, and how thick and creamy you want your soup to be.
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 1 muskatna bundeva srednje velicine
- 2 manja batata (ili 1 veliki)
- 2 mrkve srednje velicine
- 1 koromac
- maslinovo ulje
- sol, papar, muskatni orascic
- ½ zlicice kurkume
- 2-3 zlice sojinog vrhnja za kuhanje (ili drugog)
- 4 salice vode
- Napomena: 1 salica = 240 ml
- Ogulite povrce i izrezite na manje komade / kockice.
- U vecoj posudi pirjajte nekoliko minuta narezani koromac i mrkvu na maslinovom ulju. Dodajte malo vode i pirjajte jos nekoliko minuta.
- Dodajte nasjeckanu bundevu i batat i otprilike 4 salice vode, posolite i popaprite (po zelji), dodajte malo naribanog muskatnog orascica i poklopite.
- Ostavite da se kuha na srednjoj vatri oko 45 minuta tj. dok povrce ne omeksa. Jos vruce izmiksajte stapnim mikserom dok ne dobijete gustu i kremastu juhu.
- Dodajte 2-3 zlice vrhnja za kuhanje, kurkumu i po potrebi jos posolite i dodajte malo muskatnog orascica.
- Posluzite s malo vrhnja za kuhanje i svjezim vlascem. Dobar tek!
- Napomena: Ovisi o velicini povrca kojeg koristite, mozda cete morati dodati malo vise ili malo manje vode dok se kuha, takodjer zavisi o tome kakvu gustocu juhe preferirate.
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as subscribe to receive new blog posts via email.
Laura & Nora @Our Food Stories says
Such a gorgeous post!! All these colors are so beautiful <3
Thank you so much girls, that means a lot to me! <3