With Thanksgiving holiday approaching for our American friends, I kept seeing on internet delicious recipes ideas for that day which marks a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and is traditionally a day for families and friends to get together for a special meal and to give thanks for what they have. The meal often includes a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, pumpkin pie, and vegetables. I’m really sorry we don’t have a holiday like that in Europe!
One of the dishes that is often served as vegetables is roasted Brussels sprouts, squash & cranberries and I wanted to make something similar so I replaced the squash with sweet potatoes and it worked fantastic!
The combination of these ingredients is so amazing and roasting Brussels sprouts really give them the most delicious taste and than there is the sweetness of sweet potatoes and cranberries and finally a nice crunch of pecans nuts. So good! Both me and my husband loved it and will include it for our Christmas lunch as one of the side dishes. But it can be perfect as a side vegetables dish even for a regular Sunday lunch…
On another note, they started decorating the streets and shops here in Switzerland so we are getting slowly into the Christmas mood. But it’s not the same without the snow so we are still waiting for magic to happen! Beside few days of snow in October, we had the most amazing autumn, warm and sunny with nature showing all its beautiful autumn colors. But since this is a ski town high up in the mountains and the town basically lives from the winter tourism, now is really the time for the snow to start and cover everything in a white blanket… Can’t wait! I need to start planning all the delicious things I will post in December and I have a feeling there will be a lot of cookies, hot chocolate and cakes, I hope you don’t mind! 🙂 If you don’t want to miss any of my posts, be sure to subscribe and you’ll be getting all the new posts directly in your inbox.
Look how good these roasted veggies look like! Yum! Make sure to put enough salt and olive oil before you roast them as that makes all the difference.
- ½ kg Brussels sprouts
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes
- handful of pecans (or walnuts)
- handful of dried cranberries
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F). Prepare a large baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- First start by trimming the ends of Brussels sprouts s and removing any yellow leaves. Slice all Brussels sprouts in half. Put them in a small mixing bowl and add 2 tbsp olive oil and salt.
- Toss to combine and place them on one side of the baking tray.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut in smaller cubes. Put them in a small mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp olive oil and salt and toss to combine. Place them on other side of the baking tray.
- Put in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes until the Brussels sprouts start to caramelize (last 5 minutes you can increase the temperature to 220 C / 420 F) and then remove from the oven.
- Leave to cool slightly and put in the large salad bowl. Add dried cranberries and pecans and stir. If you want additional sweetness, you can add 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup. Enjoy!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as subscribe to receive new blog posts via email.
Leave a Reply