This one is for all you coconut lovers out there!
It’s been a while now that I wanted to make a healthier version of Raffaello candy balls and when I was browsing the internet and different recipes, all were with coconut cream as the main ingredient but since I had some cocoa butter at home that I wanted to use, I decided to try it for this recipe. Cocoa butter is edible vegetable fat extracted from the cocoa bean and it is used to make chocolate. To make it more creamy I also used cashew butter. Both of these ingredients you can buy in any health food store and you only need a small quantity.
- ½ cup (80 grams) melted cocoa butter
- 1 and ½ cup shredded coconut
- 20 blanched almonds (skin removed, if doing at home, see the note!)
- 4-5 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp creamy coconut milk (optional)
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- extra shredded coconut for coating the balls
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml, see here how to blanch almonds at home.
- Melt the cocoa butter in a small pan over medium heat.
- Once melted, pour it into your blender/food processor and add shredded coconut, cashew butter, agave syrup, vanilla and if necessary 2-3 tbsp coconut milk.
- Blend well until all combined. The mixture should be very soft and oily but that's normal because of the cocoa butter that is melted and it will become more solid once in the fridge. Using your hands, gently make the little balls and insert one blanched almond into each ball.
- Roll them in the shredded coconut and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour before eating.
- Keep in the fridge in the airtight container.