It’s really hot in Croatia these days as it should be in July really so no complaining here! So naturally I’ve been craving a lot of fresh food like watermelon, peaches, apricots, smoothies, cereals with cold almond milk etc and one of the things I’ve been craving these hot summer days is ice cream.
Now it’s two years exactly since I had my last ‘real’ ice cream and even if my health/digestion is soooo much better now and I am finally almost entirely symptom-free, I still don’t eat some of the food that was making me sick and gave me a lot of digestion and other health problems. I guess I have quite a strong will and I also eat very delicious food all the time so not missing out much but I do admit that from time to time, that craving for ice cream strikes!
Specially when it’s so hot outside and everybody around me have ice cream in their hands. But whenever that happens I make banana ice cream that is similar to the real deal, refreshing, cold, sweet and delicious.
I tried quite a few different flavours and some I already shared here on the blog (like this Chocolate banana ice cream or this Cherry banana ice cream) but now I have a new favourite! This Apricot banana ice cream is so creamy, refreshing and delicious and I love it as soft serve, meaning served immediately after making when it’s cold and creamy but you can also use ice cream molds and put it in the freezer for later. Apricots in combination with frozen bananas and coconut cream make this a real summer treat that I’m sure you’ll love as much as I do! Let me know if you make it as I always love hearing from you! 🙂
- 2 large frozen bananas, previously sliced and frozen
- 4 large apricots, pit removed and previously frozen
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (from can of coconut milk that you kept in the fridge)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Topping: coconut flakes, cacao nibs
- Note: if your food processor / blender is not strong enough, you can use fresh (not frozen) apricots or 2 frozen and 2 fresh so it's easier to blend.
- If you like sweeter desserts, you can add a bit of maple or agave syrup.
- Put all the ingredients into food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and add a bit of agave syrup for sweetness if needed.
- Serve immediately (it melts quickly!) in glasses with blackberries or other fresh or frozen berries on bottom and top with coconut flaked and cacao nibs.
- You can also put it in a plastic container and in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours but make sure you stir it with a spoon few times while in the freezer to prevent ice crystals from forming. Enjoy!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.