Pancakes don’t have to be only weekend breakfast! You can have them any day of the week, first, because you deserve to start the day with something delicious, second, because these pancakes are actually good for you and we can even call them healthy and third, because they are all done in 5 min so you don’t have really an excuse that they take too much time to make!
These are made with spelt flour what makes them even healthier. Spelt flour is one of the flours I use very often in my kitchen and I love its slightly nutty flavor and the fact that is much easier to digest than the regular wheat flour. Spelt, also known as dinkel wheat, is an ancient cereal grain in the wheat family and there is evidence that spelt was cultivated by ancient civilizations both in Europe and the Middle East thousands of years ago. It is mentioned in the Old Testament and in various Roman texts. It has a nutty and slightly sweet flavor, similar to that of whole wheat flour but unlike wheat, where vital nutritional bran and germ are usually removed during milling, the vital substances of spelt are found in the inner kernel of the grain. Due to spelt’s high water solubility, the grain’s vital substances can be absorbed quickly into the body. The nutrients are made available to the entire organism with a minimum of digestive work. It is also high in protein (Complete Protein: contains all the essential amino acids needed by the human body), Vitamins, Complex Carbohydrates and Fibre.
Have I persuaded you yet to include this flour in you weekly shopping list? 😀
If you don’t have any spelt flour, don’t worry, you can still make these pancakes with regular all-purpose flour or any other you prefer. And by the way, you don’t have to be a vegan. They just happen to be made with ingredients that also vegans can enjoy! 🙂
To make your Wednesday a bit more sweet, I made them two times for you, once with maple + fresh figs + dark chocolate chips topping and the second time drizzled with homemade nutella (recipe you can find here)! Both combinations so delicious and I hope you’ll try to make them for your breakfast one of these days!
Here is the first one…
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup spelt flour (or chickpea flour for gluten-free version)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup almond milk (or any other milk)
- coconut oil or other for frying
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml, ½ cup = 125 ml
- Note: I absolutely love using chickpea flour in this recipe and I tried that only after the recipe was already on the blog for a while so I updated the recipe to include this gluten-free option too!
- Mash the banana with a fork and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine almond milk, mashed banana, maple syrup and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until it's all combined.
- On a medium heat melt the coconut oil in a frying pan and then add the pancake mixture (2 tbsp per pancake). A pancake is ready to flip over when bubbles appear on top.
- Serve them warm with topping of your choice. I suggest maple syrup or homemade nutella (or melted dark chocolate) or jam of your choice. Enjoy!