Since we entered in second half of November, I thought it’s better I start practicing my cookies baking skills he he. I am so looking forward to December and all the nice things that come with it, like snow, hot chocolate, warm winter coats, wool gloves, Christmas movies, decorations and of course cookies baking! It’s one of my favorite things to do and it actually saved me in some years when holidays season was not let’s say very cheerful. I had few not easy ones in those years we lived in Kazakhstan, central Asia. Basically when you are an expat living in one of the coldest places on Earth and all your new friends travel away for holidays, you kind of basically stay alone a lot.
So that’s how it was, -40 C outside and quite depressing. So there were two options, one, feel sorry for myself and stay in bed until holidays are over or two, make myself feel better by listening Christmas music, watching Christmas movies, lighting a lot of scented candles and…. baking A LOT of cookies! Guess what I did? 🙂 I wish I had this blog than and that I did what I do now!
Anyway, holidays are like birthdays, we all had some good ones, some bad ones and even some great ones. Whenever I find myself in difficult or not ideal situation, I remind myself of everything good I have in my life and I count my blessings. It always helps…
So, I hope I didn’t bore you too much with my story. There are blogs where it’s all flowers and butterflies and you could easily think that those people have perfect lives but life is not always perfect. Of course, I like to keep things positive but, besides my photography and recipes, I also share the bits and pieces of my life here and like for everybody, there are good days and those not so good. Well, this is a good one! 🙂 Because I just baked some delicious Oats chocolate chip cookies cookies for you dear people and they are kind of healthy too!
My favourite ways to eat these cookies is with a glass of oat milk, I mean dunking cookies in milk is just the best! 😀 Let me know if you try them out, would love to hear from you!
Recipe in English:
- 1 cup wholewheat or spelt flour (you can use all-purpose flour too)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g chocolate, chopped (dark or milk)
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F). Prepare a large baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and melted coconut oil using an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes, until combined.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat for another minute.
- In a smaller mixing bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ones and stir with a wooden spoon until all combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Using a spoon scoop out the dough and use your hands to make small balls.
- Place the dough balls on the tray and leave enough space between them as the cookies will spread when they bake.
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. The cookies will look like they are not done and will be very soft but in few minutes they will set and be just right.
- Enjoy them warm or at room temperature, best with a with a glass of milk!
- Store in an airtight container.
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 1 salica integralnog psenicnog ili pirovog brasna (moze i bijelo psenicno)
- 1 salica zobenih pahuljica
- 1 zlicica sode bikarbone
- prstohvat soli
- ½ zlicice cimeta
- ½ salice otopljenog kokosovog ulja
- ½ salice kokosovog secera (ili drugog po izboru)
- 1 jaje
- 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- 100 g cokolade, isjeckane na komadice (tamne ili mlijecne, po izboru)
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Zagrijati pecnicu na 175 C. Obloziti veliki pekac papirom za pecenje.
- U vecoj posudi miksati elektricnim mikserom secer i otopljeno kokosovo ulje 1-2 minute dok se ne poveze.
- Dodati jaje i vaniliju i miksati jos minutu.
- U manjoj posudi pomijesati brasno, zobene pahuljice, sodu bikarbonu, sol i cimet.
- Dodati suhe sastojke u mokre i dobro promijesati da se poveze.
- Umijesati isjeckanu cokoladu.
- Rukama raditi male loptice i staviti ih na pripremljeni pekac ostavljajuci dovoljno razmaka izmedju jer ce se keksi rasiriti kad se budu pekli.
- Peci 10-ak minuta, izvaditi iz pecnice. Keksi ce biti mekani kad ih izvadite iz pecnice, ali ce se za par minuta stvrdnuti koliko treba.
- Uzivajte u keksima uz casu mlijeka po izboru, a drzite ih pohranjene u kutiji za kekse. Dobar tek!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.