This sweet carrot bread is so good!! I just had a slice now as I still have some of it in the fridge and I’m already worried that soon there will none left so I think I’ll have to bake it again soon! 🙂
I found a recipe for this Carrot apple bread on Pinterest months ago and I knew I had to make my own version, it just sounded and looked so delicious! I changed few things like made it refined sugar-free, used almond milk instead of yogurt, used spelt flour instead of all-purpose, used olive oil and I changed some quantities as well so I got my version of this delicious sweet bread (you can see the original recipe here). I was thinking if I should put this in the cake or bread category of recipes but I decided for ‘bread’ because that’s where I have a Banana bread too and because of its shape and mild sweetness, it kind of fits in that category. As you can see on the photos, I like mine just as it is or with a layer of cashew butter but it would go well with a regular butter too or even some jam if you want or need that extra sweetness. One of the great things about this bread/cake is that it stays fresh for days and I love to keep mine in the fridge as it becomes a bit more dense, easy to slice and for me personally tastes even better! But you can keep in in the airtight container at room temperature or try both and see what you prefer. If you have larger family, I guess it will be gone in a day or two as it’s so yummy! I spend a lot of time on my own so for me is important that it can stay in the fridge and still taste good (if not even better!) after few days.
Otherwise I don’t have much to write about today, it’s mostly been work, work, work. I’ve been really inspired with all the beautiful spring fruit and vegetables and I have a delicious asparagus recipe for you that I’ll share by the end of this week. So even if the spring is at least a month late here high up in the Alps, the air is starting to smell different and here and there you can find pretty little purple flowers coming out of the ground and the evenings are getting a bit warmer (as in not freezing!) so there is hope! 🙂 Have a great day everybody and let me know if you tried any of my recipes, I love hearing from you! The other day I got the most delicious looking photo of Lemon cake with olive oil and honey and message from one of my followers on Facebook that she loved the recipe and that the cake is one of the best she ever had. Hearing comments like that really make my day and I so appreciate every one of you who follow my work! Thank you!
Recipe in English:
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or light brown)
- ⅓ cup almond milk (or other)
- ½ cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder (1 sachet)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
- Prepare a bread baking pan and grease it with oil and dust with flour (not necessary if you are using a silicone one).
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, milk, olive oil and vanilla and whisk it until it's well combined.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and stir until it's combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir with a spoon or spatula until it's just combined. Than add grated apple and carrot and fold in with the spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared bread baking pan and bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the tester comes out with few crumbs but not batter. You can cover it with the aluminium foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent from becoming too brown on top.
- Note: Leave to cool well before removing from the baking pan. Keep at room temperature for a day or two and after that in the fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 2 jaja
- ¾ salice kokosovog secera (ili svjetlo-smedjeg)
- ⅓ salice bademovog mlijeka (ili drugog po izboru)
- ½ salice maslinovog ulja (ne extra-djevicanskog)
- 2 zlicice vanilin ekstrakta
- 1 salica pirovog brasna (ili integralnog)
- 1 vrecica praska za pecivo
- 1 zlicica cimeta
- prstohvat soli
- 1 jabuka, naribana
- 1 veca mrkva, naribana
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Zagrijte pecnicu na 175 C.
- Pripremite kalup za kruh, namastite i lagano posujte brasnom (nije potrebno ako koristite silikonski kalup).
- U vecoj posudi pjenjacom dobro umutite jaja, secer, mlijeko, maslinovo ulje i vaniliju.
- U drugoj posudi pomijesajte brasno, prasak za pecivo, cimet i sol.
- Dodajte mjesavinu s brasnom u mokre sastojke i promijesajte da se sve dobro poveze.
- Zatim dodajte naribanu mrkvu i jabuku.
- Izlijte smjesu u pripremljeni kalup i pecite oko 45 minuta ili dok tester (cackalica) ne izadje uglavnom suha.
- Zadnjih 15 min mozete preko pokriti aluminijskom folijom kako se vrh ne bi previse zapekao.
- Ostavite da se dobro ohladi prije vadjenja iz kalupa.
- Drzite na sobnoj temperaturi jedan ili dva dana (ako nije vruce), a nakon toga u frizideru. Dobar tek!