First of all, I’m so sorry I haven’t been posting more often here on the blog! It’s not that I didn’t want to but life got in the way and I’ve been going through a lot lately. I have still been busy with my photography, collaborations, different projects and my social media accounts but there wasn’t enough time to create new recipes and share them here, I will do my best to change that as soon as I can and in the meantime I will keep posting as much as I can and I want to thank each and every one of you for being here with me! I hope you enjoy stopping by my little Travelling oven and find something for yourself, whether it’s a delicious recipe or an interesting travel story, hopefully there will be much more of both in the future!
But you see I did find time to create these delicious Sweet potato brownies that are also vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free so everybody can enjoy them yaaay!!! I promise they taste delicious and decadent and perfect for all dark chocolate lovers out there! Hope you are excited as much as I am, chocolate always gets me excited and it’s been way too long since I posted something chocolaty! It was about time, right?! 🙂
Initially I wanted to make these with eggs but than I wanted to experiment a bit and try to make them egg-less so more people can enjoy them and I am so happy with the result. I also made them gluten-free and used chestnut flour which gives these brownies a very special note but if you don’t have it and don’t want to buy it, you can simply use almond or oat flour or some other you prefer instead.
By the way, do you like sweet potatoes? I am kind of obsessed and often when don’t want to cook too much and still need something satisfying for dinner, I’ll just cut sweet potatoes in cubes, drizzle them with olive oil, salt and rosemary and pop in the oven until nice and crispy. Or I’ll cook them, add a bit of olive oil and salt and make mashed sweet potatoes. Than add some fresh tomatoes or some kind of salad on the side and there you go, a perfect dinner if you ask me! They are such a great ingredient as you can use them in savoury and sweet dishes and they are so healthy too.
Sweet potatoes are excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) and they are also a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. And they taste amazing! Do you need any more convincing to use them more in your diet? 😉 I wanted to try using them in sweet dish for a long time and when I browsed one of my Facebook groups the other day and saw delicious and very chocolaty looking sweet potato brownies I knew I needed to make my own version soon. Like right that minute. And since I already had all the ingredients at home, this is the result!
Recipe in English:
- 1 cup cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 chia OR flax 'eggs' (2 tbsp ground chia seeds OR 2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp water, leave 10 minutes)
- ¼ cup maple or agave syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chestnut flour (or almond or oat flour)
- 2 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- For chocolate ganache topping
- ½ cup dark chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup coconut cream (from coconut milk can)
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- These brownies are mildly sweet and have full chocolate flavour but if you prefer sweeter desserts, you can use sweeter chocolate (with less cacao percentage) for chocolate ganache.
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F. Line baking pan (20 x 20 cm / 8 x 8 inch) with baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk coconut oil, maple syrup, chia OR flax 'eggs' and vanilla until well combined.
- In another smaller bowl combine flour, baking soda, cacao and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ones and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in mashed sweet potatoes (previously cooked).
- Transfer the mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly while you prepare chocolate ganache topping.
- Melt dark chocolate and coconut cream over low heat until creamy and pour over baked brownies.
- Leave to cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 1 salica kuhanog batata, izgnjecenog
- 2 veganske zamjene za jaja od chia sjemenki ILI lanenih sjemenki (2 zlice mljevenih chia sjemenki ILI lanenih sjemenki + 6 zlica vode, ostaviti 10 minuta)
- ¼ salice javorovog ili agavinog sirupa
- ½ salice kokosovog ulja, otopljenog
- 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- ¾ salice brasna od kestena (ili bademovog ili zobenog brasna)
- 2 vrhom pune zlice sirovog kakaa
- 1 zlicica soda bikarbone
- prstohvat soli
- Za cokoladni ganache preljev
- ½ salice tamne ckokolade, isjeckane
- ⅓ salice koksoovog vrhnja (iz limenke kokosovog mlijeka)
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Ovi browniji su blago slatki i vrlo cokoladnog okusa. Ukoliko preferirate sladje deserte, mozete koristiti sladju cokoladu (onu s manje postotka kakaa) za cokoladni ganache preljev.
- Zagrijte pecnicu na 175 C. Oblozite kalup (20 x 20 cm) papirom za pecenje.
- U vecoj posudi pomijesajte kokosovo ulje, javorov sirup, zamjenska 'jaja' od chia ILI lanenih sjemenki i vaniliju.
- U drugoj manjoj posudi pomijesajte brasno, soda bikarbonu, kakao i sol.
- Dodajte suhe sastojke u mokre i dobro promijesajte.
- Umijesajte prethodno skuhani i izgnjeceni batat.
- Ulijte smjesu u pripremljeni kalup za pecenje i pecite oko 25 minuta.
- Ostavite da se malo ohladi dok pripremate cokoladni ganache preljev.
- Na laganoj vatri otopite tamnu cokoladu i kokosovo vrhnje dok ne dobijete kremastu smjesu. Prelijte preko pecenih brownija i ostavite da se ohlade prije rezanja na kocke i serviranja.
- Dobar tek!