Honestly I was not sure if I should post this on the blog because even if the recipe is simple and delicious (the way I like it!) and this buckwheat porridge is such an amazing way to start your day with something healthy and comforting, it’s just not the prettiest dish. I mean if it would compete with a decadent chocolate cake or pavlova cake with strawberries or beautiful apple pie, this porridge would lost for sure in that beauty contest! 😀 But when I posted a photo of it on my Instagram and Facebook pages people responded really well and many wanted a recipe so I decided to share it here as well! Maybe it’s not the prettiest but it’s delicious, healthy, perfect for cold winter days and easy to make plus you can make your own version with different toppings!
Do you like buckwheat? I like it a lot and interestingly enough at the same time I’m not a big fan of buckwheat flour as it has very strong taste that doesn’t suit me somehow. Maybe that will change as I would love using the flour as well since it’s so healthy but for the moment I’ll stick with buckwheat.
Buckwheat is actually not a grain and it’s gluten-free, it’s also rich in essential nutrients, minerals including manganese, magnesium and copper and good source of the B vitamins: B6, pantothenic acid, niacin, folate, thiamin and choline.
I used to eat it often as a savoury dish, specially when I would visit my family in Slovenia as it’s such a popular dish there, specially prepared with mushrooms, so yummy! But lately I’ve been making it as naturally sweetened porridge and love it, it’s easier to my stomach than regular oats porridge and I love its subtle nutty flavour. You can make so many different combinations with it and I came up with this apple cinnamon one that I absolutely love, hope you will love it too! 🙂
Recipe in English:
- 1 cup raw buckwheat, soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup oat milk (or other)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple, grated
- pinch of salt
- Toppings: walnuts, cacao nibs, cashew nutter, apple slices
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Rinse the buckwheat that you previously soaked in water overnight.
- Place it in medium size pan, add milk, water and salt.
- Cook for about 10 minutes in low heat stirring occasionally.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, maple syrup and grated apple.
- Cook another 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve the porridge in bowls and top with nuts, nut butter, cacao nibs and apple slices or other toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 1 salica heljde, namocene u vodi preko noci
- 1 salica zobenog mlijeka (ili drugog)
- 1 salica vode
- 1 zlicica cimeta
- 2-3 zlice javorovog sirupa
- ⅛ zlicice muskatnog orascica
- ½ zlicice vanilin ekstrakta
- 1 jabuka, naribana
- prsothvat soli
- Za posipanje: orasi, maslac od indijskih orascica, kriske jabuke, kakao zrnca
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Isperite heljdu prethodno namocenu u vodi preko noci.
- Stavite je u posudu srednje velicine i dodajte mlijeko, vodu i sol.
- Kuhajte na laganoj vatri povremeno mijesajuci oko 10 minuta.
- Dodajte cimet, muskatni orascic, vaniliju, javorov sirup i naribanu jabuku.
- Kuhajte jos 10-ak minuta, povremeno mijesajuci.
- Posluzite u zdjelice i posipajte s orasima, maslacem od indijskih orascica, kriskama jabuka i kakao zrncima ili po vasoj zelji. Dobar tek!
If you are a porridge fan, check out this Apple cinnamon oats porridge I have on my blog, it’s very delicious too!