Anybody in the mood for Sour cherries strudel with yogurt and semolina filling? I know I am, always! 🙂 But I can’t just start writing the recipe without mentioning these last few months. So much has changed in these three months since the last time I posted anything new on the blog.
Basically, the world has changed and now everybody’s talking about the new normal. My last post was in February when we still didn’t fully realise what is waiting for all of us in the weeks to come. I spent that month in Dubrovnik for some family reasons and for few photoshoots I had booked and had all nicely planned out for how my life is going to look like from March on as I had jobs booked, trips planned, exciting travels confirmed. It just goes to show that sometimes life simply cannot be planned out…
Literally the moment I came back the hell broke loose and well, you all know what happened then… Pandemic stopped all (or most of) our plans, hopes, dreams, jobs and we had to adjust and accept the magnitude and gravity of it all. And we did… because that’s what we humans are capable of, that and so much more. We are all dealing with this new situation in our own way and I’m not here to say one way is better than other.
Handling lockdown and ‘new normal’ my way
For instance, way of handling being on my own during about two months of lockdown was having a daily routine, keeping my mind as much as possible in the moment and not let it drift away to ‘what do future holds’ or ‘why did this had to happen’ thoughts, focusing on ‘little’ things like going on daily walks, eating healthy but also having sweet treats and comfort food when I needed them, immerse myself in photography and creative process just for me, as a sort of healing. In addition to that, I also did more cooking than usual, reading (but only after a while because for the first few weeks I couldn’t focus) and talking / chatting with family and friends and I was also very active on my social media channels which helped me feeling more connected… How did you (and still are…) cope with all the stress and everything? I hope you are all well and have your little ways and joys to stay sane through all of this! Because now more than ever we need to think of our mental health and release all the pressure we put on ourselves, focusing on self-care and little pleasures.
Sour cherries strudel with yogurt and semolina filling
Talking about pleasures…how about a slice of this delicious Sour cherries strudel with a cup of coffee? 🙂 And this recipe couldn’t be more simple and within an hour you’ll have a great dessert for your family (or just for yourself!).
Recipe in English:
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 cups sour cherries (jarred or canned)
- For filling:
- 1½ cups yogurt or kefir
- ½ cup oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- ¾ cup semolina
- ½ cup sugar (I used xylitol)
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- melted butter or cooking cream for brushing before baking
- For dusting: powdered sugar
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 356 F and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk all the ingredients for filling ((not sour cherries!) until they are well combined.
- Spread the first sheet of phyllo pastry on the prepared baking tray and spread half of the filling mixture.
- On top of the mixture spread the second sheet of pastry and spread the remaining of the filling mixture.
- Put the third sheet of pastry on top.
- Spread the sour cherries on the top of the third sheet of pastry (not till the edges) and carefully roll all together to make a strudel shape.
- Brush the strudel with a little bit of melted butter or cooking cream.
- Bake for about 50 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 3 kore za savijacu
- ¾ tegle kompota s visnjama (300 g)
- Za nadjev:
- 2 jogurta ili kefira (1 jogurt = 200 g)
- ½ salice ulja (ja sam koristila otopljeno kokosovo ulje)
- ¾ salice griza
- ½ salice secera (ja sam koristila brezin secer)
- 1 vanilin secer ili 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- otopljeni maslac ili vrhnje za kuhanje za premazivanje prije pecenja
- Za posipanje: secer u prahu
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Zagrijati pecnicu na 180 C i obloziti veliki pekac papirom za pecenje.
- U vecoj posudi izmijesajte sve sastojke za nadjev (ne visnje!).
- Rasirite prvu koru za pripremljeni pekac i po vrhu ravnomjerno rasporedite pola pripremljenog nadjeva.
- Poklopite s drugom korom i po vrhu rasporedite ostatak nadjeva.
- Na to stavite trecu koru i po njoj rasporedite visnje (ne sasvim do rubova).
- Pazljivo zarolajte u oblik savijace.
- Premazite s malo otopljenog maslaca ili vrhnjem za kuhanje.
- Peci otprilike 50 min ili dok ne dobije zlatno-smedju boju.
- Izvadite iz pecnice, ostavite da se ohladi i posipajte secerom u prahu prije posluzivanja.
- Dobar tek!
This recipe is from my mum’s recipe notebook and we often use it in my family. I’m sure you’ll love it too if you:
- like sour cherries
- like simple recipes without too much work
- are a fan of strudel
Let me know if you try it out! 🙂
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.