Usually I don’t post on the blog on weekends but today I’ll do it because I’m not sure I will have the time for that next week and I really really want to share this little Cherry chocolate cake with you! Anybody else excited that cherry season is finally here? I am enjoying it to the fullest because it lasts so short (just like the strawberries!) and before we know it, it will be gone.
So let’s enjoy as many cherries and cherry recipes as we can, shall we?! 😀 I am eating cherry smoothie bowls for breakfast, cherry banana ice creams for dessert, oh and I should definitely bake again this cherry clafoutis! You get the picture, I LOVE cherries! So let’s go back to today’s recipe that is for everybody who loves chocolate + cherries combination who doesn’t, right?!) and is in the mood for healthier and just mildly sweet cake for a little treat.
This is a very simple cake made with just few wholesome ingredients, it’s sweetened with coconut sugar and it doesn’t have any eggs in it so it’s naturally vegan too. It is very mildly sweet but if you like sweeter desserts, you can always use regular granulated sugar instead of coconut sugar. Hope you’ll give it a try and if you do, please let me know how did you like it, I always love hearing from you!
So to recap, you will love this cake if you:
- like chocolate + cherries combination
- prefer not overly sweet desserts
- want to bake a healthier dessert made with wholesome ingredients
- looking for a simple recipe with not too many ingredients
- want to bake a vegan cake
- want to use some of the gorgeous cherries in a dessert
This kind of cake is great for breakfast too, specially with a glass of milk (of your choice)! Just one little note, since the cake is made with coconut oil instead of butter, it’s better to keep it at room temperature and not in the fridge before serving. Coconut oil always hardens in the fridge so that’s why.
Recipe in English:
- 2 cups spelt flour (or wholewheat)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup oat milk (or other)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups cherries, remove the pits
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 356 F. Line the spring form cake pan (24 cm / 9.4 inch) with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, cacao, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl whisk melted coconut oil, oat milk, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ones and stir well.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan.
- Arrange cherries on top of the batter.
- Bake for about 35 min or until tester comes out mostly clean.
- Leave to cool before removing from the baking pan. Serve at room temperature, enjoy!
Recipe in Croatian / Recept na hrvatskom:
- 2 salice pirovog brasna (ili integralnog psenicnog)
- ¾ salice kokosovog secera
- 3 zlice sirovog kakao praha
- 1 zlicica praska za pecivo
- 1 zlicica soda bikarbone
- prsothvat soli
- ½ salice kokosovog ulja, otopljenog
- ⅓ salice zobenog mlijeka (ili drugog)
- 1 zlicica vanilin ekstrakta
- 2 zlice limunovog sola
- 2 salice ociscenih tresanja
- Napomena: 1 salica = 250 ml
- Zagrijte pecnicu na 180 C. Oblozite kalup za torte (24 cm) papirom za pecenje.
- U vecoj posudi pomijesajte brasno, secer, kakao. prasak za pecivo, sodu bikarbonu i sol.
- U drugoj posudi pomijesajte otopljeno kokosovo ulje, mlijeko, vaniliju i sok od limuna.
- Dodajte mokre u suhe sastojke i dobro promijesajte.
- Rasporedite smjesu u pripremljeni kalup i na vrhu poslazite tresnje.
- Pecite oko 35 min.
- Pricekajte da se ohladi pa izvadite iz kalupa. Posluzite na sobnoj temperaturi, dobar tek!
*Thank you so much for being here, that makes me so happy! You can also follow my Travelling oven on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, as well as sign up to receive new blog posts via email and subscribe to my newsletter.