So as promised here is another quick post before my travel on Sunday. By the way, I’m going to St. Lucia and I’m so excited to see and experience the Caribbean way of life for the first time, can’t wait to take million photos!! I always wanted to try drinking from a real coconut and that will be one of the first things I do. And find a palm to lay under will be the second. 😀 If you follow me on instagram, there I’ll be sharing more from my trip. Anyway, I will be away for two weeks so that’s why I wanted to share something easy to make, sweet and delicious so you don’t forget me until I come back! 🙂
Recently I got intrigued to try some sweet recipes that include vegetables, of course those with subtle and not overpowering flavor, like for example zucchini or carrots. I think I’ll have to try making chocolate zucchini bread soon as I saw some photos these days on Pinterest that literally made me drool lol! 😀
But today I’m sharing these Apple zucchini muffins that are so soft, moist and delicious! You can’t feel the taste of zucchini I promise and this is a great way to add some vitamins and good stuff to your breakfast or afternoon snack. They are also sweet enough, confirmed by my husband who is the main tester and if he says it’s sweet, than I can be sure it is! They really are yummy and they melt in your mouth… Let me know if you make them, would love to have some of your feedback.
To test the recipe I made these muffins few times, both with spelt flour (those are a bit darker colour and have just a little bit stronger flavor because spelt flour does have a slightly nutty taste, which I like!) and with half white and half wholewheat flour (the flour is called basically “half-white” in many European countries, these muffins are a bit lighter in color and have slightly milder flavor). On the photos you’ll see a difference, the spelt ones are those photographed with redcurrant and the white + wholewheat ones are those styled with blueberries. I have to say that both taste great and there is not a major difference so you can decide for yourself which flour to use.
- 1 cup spelt flour (or half white + half wholewheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 1 small or ½ medium zucchini grated
- 1 red apple grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F).
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or use silicone muffin pan where you can put the mixture directly in the cups.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add grated zucchini and apple (previously squeeze as much water as possible from grated zucchini and apple, using paper towels) and stir with wooden spoon to combine.
- In another bowl mix coconut oil, egg and vanilla and than add to all the other ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Fill the muffin liners with mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Note: It's important to squeeze the water out of grated zucchini and apple before adding them to other ingredients. Muffins stay soft and moist for few days in airtight container on room temperature. If you want 12 muffins, just double up the quantities.