Are you hungry? If yes, I have something delicious for you to make you even more hungry lol! 😀 This is such a simple dish but tastes so good and you can prepare it quickly for a light summer lunch or as an appetizer for a family lunch or dinner. You just need some chicken breasts, avocado and few other basic ingredients and this light and delicious salad will be ready in about 30 minutes. Than you need some lovely bread like sourdough loaf or whole wheat ciabatta, slice it, drizzle with olive oil and toast in the oven until it’s perfectly crunchy and ready for a creamy chicken avocado salad topping, yum!
I already told you that I’ve been eating mostly breakfast and appetizer kind of food in these weeks that my husband is away for work and our things were somewhere in the truck at the customs between Switzerland and Croatia. Oh and a LOT of strawberries and cherries as the green markets in Zagreb are full of that beautiful summer fruit and their season is so short that I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to enjoy my favorite fruit. I’ve been making this cherry coconut smoothie, this fresh cherry banana ice cream, these strawberry overnight oats and this pretty berry antioxidante smoothie all the time for breakfast and sometimes for dinner or afternoon snack too, please don’t judge! 😀
But I also ate savory food that is easy to prepare in one bowl and doesn’t require any of that kitchen equipment that was in the truck somewhere, like this delicious chicken salad…
So I proved to myself that you can still eat yummy healthy food even in not ideal circumstances like mine were. BUT the good news is that all the boxes finally arrived yesterday after about a month and now I just need to unpack and I’ll be baking before you know it yaaay! The little things that make us happy! 🙂
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- ½ large cucumber
- ½ red onion
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes
- juice of ½ - 1 lemon
- fresh dill or coriander
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- bread for toasting, about 6 smaller slices
- First cook the chicken breasts until tender, about 15-20 min.
- Let them cool and than using your fingers, tear off small pieces of chicken in a large bowl.
- Chopp cucumber, onion and tomatoes in small pieces and add to the chicken.
- Cut the avocado and mash it with a fork until creamy. Drizzle it generously with freshly squeezed lemon juice and don't miss this step as without the lemon juice, avocado will turn un-appetizing brown colour!
- Add the creamy mashed avocado to other ingredients, add salt, pepper, finely chopped dill or coriander, drizzle with olive oil and some more lemon juice. Stir well until it's all combined.
- Slice the bread, drizzle the slices with olive oil and toast them in the oven until golden and crunchy.
- Top bread slices with the chicken avocado salad and finish it with a bit more fresh dill. Serve and enjoy!