After few sweet blog posts it’s time for a savoury one! And because the Summer temperatures are here, I though of something simple and light that makes for a perfect lunch or dinner now that we don’t feel like eating heavy food and spending a lot of time by the stove or oven. Do you like chickpeas? I love them in soups, stews or as my favourite hummus spread that I already have here on the blog. If you are looking for inspiration to use chickpeas, have a look also at this delicious recipe for Couscous with chickpeas, almonds & pomegranate…
This time I combined chickpeas with carrots to make fritters (fried on just a little bit of coconut oil), added a lovely fresh salad and got the meal that I truly enjoyed, hope you will too!
Chickpea is a legume with seeds that are high in protein and that’s why, when combined with some other vegetables, they make such a healthy and balanced meal. They are also rich in fiber, iron, vitamin B6, magnesium and more so it’s a good idea to include them in your diet. What do you like to eat when it gets so hot outside? I’ve been making a lot of different salads, couscous or millet dishes, roasted or steamed vegetables, occasional chicken or fish for dinner and I have to admit possible a bit too much of fruit because I just love strawberries and cherries so much ands since they are now in season, I may have went a bit overboard with that. I mean, of course fruit is healthy but when eaten in large quantities, it also has a lot of natural sugars so it’s best to enjoy it in moderation (meaning, not like me these days!).
I will keep it short today as these days my life has been pretty much crazy and I’m in the process of moving, doing some works in the new apartment and so on… Busy and stressful! I’ve been trying to relax as much as I can but I think the real relaxation will come only somewhere in July when I will be going to Dubrovnik with my family and I will let the sea take all my stress away… 🙂
- 2 medium size carrots, chopped
- 1 cup / 240 g cooked chickpeas (can use canned cooked chickpeas)
- 1 small red onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup flour (I used spelt flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- herbs of your choice: rosemary, thyme, parsley...
- Coconut oil (or other) for frying
- Note: 1 cup = 250 ml
- If making for more than 2 people, just increase the quantities.
- Put all the ingredients in your food processor (you can also use hand blender) and process until it's all well combined and you get a smooth thick mixture.
- Use your hands to make small fritters and fry them in small quantity of oil (I used coconut oil) few minutes on each side, until they are golden brown.
- Serve the fritters with salad of your choice and enjoy!