It’s such a dark and gloomy Monday here in the mountains that I definitely need something to brighten up my mood! And for me one of the best ways to do that is to make delicious food, shoot it and eat it lol! 😀 It works every time so why today should be any different! That’s why I’ve been working on this recipe for Zucchini & corn fritters and I already feel better.
The combination of zucchini and corn is so delicious and when you add some Parmesan cheese and few other ingredients, mix everything and fry for few minutes, you get these delicious fritters that make great side dish or even a lunch with maybe some salad on the side. They are still good the following day so you can even take them to work for lunch and have a bit healthier one than a sandwich or a slice of pizza.
I generally don’t fry food often but when I do (like when making pancakes, fritters, occasionally fried liver and maybe few other things), I am very careful about which oils I use. Until I started thinking more about what I eat and reading, researching about healthy food and healing with food (you can read a bit about that here and I talked a bit about my health/digestion problems and healing with food in quite a few of my posts already but I’m also planning on writing an entire post on this subject soon!), I just used vegetables oil for everything, specially sunflower oil and extra virgin olive oil only for salads or fish. I’ve never thought about oils and how good or bad they can be for us. I’ll write more about this soon but for now let me just suggest that you eliminate or at least reduce the use of vegetables oils from your diets as they are so bad for us and our bodies. I mostly use 4 kinds of oils in my cooking now: 1. coconut oil with mild coconut flavor that I use for cakes and sweet treats, 2. coconut oil without any flavor that I use for frying, 3. olive oil for cooking that I use for roasting vegetables or cooking in general and 4. extra virgin olive oil that I use for salads and drizzling over food in general. To read more about why vegetables oil are so bad for us, go here… and I will be working on that blog post about my healing with food as I think many of you might find that interesting and if I can help even one person with sharing my experience, I would be so happy! 🙂
Now back to our recipe and these yummy fritters, hope you’ll make them and like as much as we do!
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup corn
- 200 ml natural yogurt (I use homemade kefir)
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tbsp oats
- 4 tbsp spelt flour (or other flour, you may have to adjust this quantity 1 tbsp more or less to get the right consistency of batter)
- salt, thyme (you can also add some pepper if you use it, I don't)
- oil for frying
- Start by grating zucchini in a large mixing bowl and removing the excess water by using a kitchen towel.
- Add all other ingredients and stir well until all combined.
- Heat neutral coconut oil or other oil you use in a frying pan and once it's heated, put about 2 tbsp of batter per each fritter. Fry them 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place them on a kitchen towel to remove the excess oil and serve warm.
- Note: You can also store them in the fridge over night and they will still be good the following day and eaten at room temperature.